Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Goodbye Grandma Lorlee

Grandma was a former Miss Farmington...isn't she so cute?! Maya says she looks like Glenda the good witch from the Wizard of Oz.

Grandma loved her grandkids, monkeys, and onions.
Nick & Bohden helping Grandpa sweep the floor after the funeral luncheon...what great helpers!

It's never fun saying goodbye, but Monday night we knew that Grandma was getting closer to leaving us....so all of us grandkids and great-grandkids (my kids) kissed her goodbye and told her that we loved her. There wasn't a dry eye in the room. She celebrated her 90th birthday in January and has been declining the last few months. We have all been praying that she would go quickly without suffering... and on a bright sunny day today, she did just that. I can only imagine her joy at being with Grandpa again. I know he has been waiting for her and she has missed him terribly the last 4 years. So in a way, I am sad because we will miss her, but I'm so happy for her, because her spirit is now free. Maya said, "Mom, I don't want Grandma Lorlee to die, my heart loves her." Toby and I just lost it right then and there. Grandma also told George to "live up to his name" reminding him that her father's name was George and also Grandma Dorothy's husband, so he will carry on the name. We also got a new video camera after Christmas... so we interviewed her on New Years Day and asked her all about her life. Although she doesn't like to talk about herself, we now have something we can show the kids when they get older...but one thing they will never forget is how much she loved them. She had a picture of every grandchild hanging up next to her by her recliner.

0 comments: