Sunday, October 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Maya!

1st Birthday!
"Pinkalicious" 6th Birthday!



6 years ago today my little Maya girl was born! I can't believe how time flies! I still remember sitting in a small waiting room of the adoption agency and being so excited to hold her, they couldn't bring her in fast enough! When the intern finally brought her in, she was wrapped tightly in a fresh clean blanket, she had a sweet pink bow in her hair, and a pretty little white dress on with yellow flowers. As she was placed in my arms, I immediately started to cry. She smelled so good and she was sleeping peacefully. That wouldn't last long, so I have a vivid picture of that moment in my mind. Toby and I just sat there in awe holding her. We cried happy tears after waiting and praying for 5 years to have a baby. He studied her fingers and toes and kissed them. She had the longest fingers and toes and she kept her knees up close to her chest. She was so tiny...6lbs...2oz. We thought we would break her the first time we changed her diaper and bathed her. She has always loved her baths and the water, that's the only thing that would calm her besides riding in the car. Those first 5 months were hard, I thought I would never survive them with Toby working graves, but my mom and mother in law were angels, helping me anytime, whether it was a phone call or a visit at 2am. She was very sick those first months with reflux and withdrawal...always waking up at the littlest sound or bright light. At 6 months she turned into a person that didn't just poop and sleep. It was wonderful to have a sidekick wherever I went, and even more fun to dress her in a different outfit everyday...we still have little fashion shows! With all the clothes she had from her 4 baby showers, it's amazing she wore every outfit! We would go for walks together, shop together, sing together, and dance to Baby Einstein. We still go for walks together, sing and dance, shop together, and now we have our bedtime chats and stories. Her birthmother named her "Jasmine" which means "Gift from God" and we named her "Maya" (a form of the name Mary) which is also my first name,and the name Maya also means "God's Creative Power." I think she is all of these things.

1 comments:

Shae said...

wow! that is awesome to hear a bit more about Maya's birth and your experience with her. Such an amazing time, I'm sure! Happy birthday to Maya!!