Thursday, April 15, 2010

Counting Down to U2 Concert (50 Days!)

So those of you that know me...already know that I am a die hard U2 fan...and I would have to thank my older sister for that! She first introduced me to "The Joshua Tree" album when I was in the 8th grade...so around 1985. She also introduced me to the Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, Tracy Chapman, and other great artists of the 80's. It has been 13 years since my last U2 concert...and their first concert here (to set the record straight) they were not booed off the stage...I had heard this myself and wanted to know if it was true...so I did some research and found out that this is a another one of those Utah urban legends passed around. Apparently in 1983 (in the old Salt Palace)U2 was the headliner and The Alarm opened for them. The people in attendance were there to see U2 and did not want them off the stage. The crowd danced and enjoyed the show, during the song "War" Bono waved the white flag and then climbed about 20 feet to the top of the speaker stack. Some people in attendance may have booed some of Bono's political views at the time...but that was it. During the "POP" tour concert in 1997, my younger sister even hyperventilated when Bono hit the stage! I teased her that this time I'd bring a brown bag for her! HAHA! I am so psyched and it will be SO fun rockin out with my family and friends at Rice Eccles! We are gonna have Grandma and Grandpa watch the kids for us and make it an overnight date in the big city...with a stay down at a B&B on Capitol Hill. Can't wait!

1 comments:

mills5 said...

I hadn't heard about Kate hyperventilating. That is pretty funny. The last time I went to see U2 was in '97 as well, but in Las Vegas. It was such a blast. I am super excited to go again. Maybe we will see you there.