Saturday, December 10, 2011
The Gifts of Christmas
I saw this photo posted on facebook and it was a great reminder that we musn't get caught up in material things. The greatest gifts are those given from our hearts; gifts of our time, our love, blessing others in need like the Savior did. He was the epitome of giving of ones self and what "Christ"mas is all about. Santa Claus and other traditions are fun, but they should not be the focus of our Christmas devotion. I think one of the adversary's greatest tools is fooling us into thinking that material gifts and material things mean more than gifts of one's self...trying to have it all or attaining more things. But "things" do not last, nor will they bring eternal happiness and peace. The gifts the Savior unselfishly provided and taught us to give are everlasting, and the joy and peace they bring are overflowing.
*Click on my blog title above (The Gifts of Christmas) to hear a wonderful talk by President Eyring entitled "The Gifts of Christmas" he delivered at this years Christmas Devotional.
**And here's one of my favorite Christmas songs by Cherie Call & Tyler Castleton. I LOVE Cherie and her music! She was one of my trainers way back when we both worked at Southwest Airlines. She was just starting out as a singer/songwriter and we were all lucky enough to be serenaded by her in class. She is very sweet,funny,and TALENTED. This is only the instrumental music and lyrics to her Mary's Lullaby song entitled "I Just Knew" but you have to hear her sing it! Her One Star CD is a must buy and she also has a new Christmas CD out this year too that I can't wait to hear!
He’s the son of a king, but He came to us with nothing
No purple robe, no crust of bread
With His soft tiny hands, He reached out for me to hold Him
There was no crown upon his head
So I guess that I should not have been surprised
When I saw the human tears in His holy infant eyes
And no one ever taught me how to sing
A lullaby for the son of a mighty king
But when I held Him in my arms
And I rocked Him just the way that mothers do, I just knew
Just as we knew he would be, He lived so selflessly
He was a legend in the land
People came from far and wide, they looked at Him with pleading eyes
Longing for the healing in His hands
And in those endless busy days
He still had time for me, He always found a way
And no one ever told me how to love
A healer and a teacher sent from up above
But when He cared for me and helped me
In the tender way that only He could do, I just knew
In sunlit moments I could see me in the traces of His smile
I know He came from me
But He was better than this world would allow
I could not save Him when He died
Now it seems that He’s the one who holds me when I cry
And everybody asks me how I’m sure
That the little boy I raised is our Redeemer
I could list the dreams and prophecies
And miracles that prove His mission true
But in all honesty
Every moment I was with him, I just knew.
Posted by Simmons Inc. at 7:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Did you take yourself off Facebook? I'm glad I wrote down this address. I'd hate to lose you!!
Haha! Yes but just for a little while to actually get some things accomplished for Christmas! I hope you and your sweet family have a wonderful Christmas! We miss you guys!(Hugs) When are we going to get together instead of just talking about it eh? I need some good rolling on the floor laughs! My vote is Logan in Springtime!
Post a Comment