Monday, January 18, 2010

Friendship



After attending a funeral of a dear family friend last week, it reminded me of how important our relationships and friendships are, even when you don't get to see or visit with each other often.

I get a monthly newsletter from Delilah (yes she can be a little cheesy, but now that I'm getting older I am starting to listen to FM 100 and FM 106.5 more because of the stuff they give away...I am determined to win something!)

"Old friends are a treasure, new friends are a thrill, and good friends are a blessing. Make sure you hold onto those that build you up, just listen when you’re down and can make you laugh at any moment! That’s what I call a good friend.

Consider doing a few things to strengthen your friendship, the first being the hardest – finding quality time together. Don’t worry about planning a dinner date. Don’t worry about planning at all. Hanging out with a friend should be a walk in the park. I mean it, as easy as meeting up for a walk in the park. No reservations required.

Volunteer to help a friend out. If you never see your friend because she’s too busy playing Mom, worker, PTA member, activist, whatever…take a load off her back. Show that you care by offering to baby sit or grocery shop or join her in her volunteer efforts. At least then you know you’ll get a few moments of face time with her.

Be honest about everything! Be honest about your life, your ups and downs. Be honest that you miss your friend and admit your fault in not being in better contact; hopefully that will be reciprocated because friendship is a two-way road. An honest, caring friend is the best kind to have. And a forgiving friend is twice as nice."

I feel very blessed and am so grateful for wonderful friends in my life that have taught me so much and loved me unconditionally, through good times and bad.

0 comments: