Monday, March 2, 2009

Apple-Raisin-Oatmeal Bran Muffins & Good For You Wassail


These are a great source of fiber...just don't ever get "stuck on the Bay Bridge in traffic after drinking two strong cups of coffee and three bran muffins." (Mike Meyers "So I Married An Axe Murderer")


1 1/2 Cups Raisin Bran Cereal


1 Cup Milk


1/4 Veggie Oil


2 Eggs slightly beaten


1 tsp. Vanilla


1 1/2 Cups Finely Chopped peeled apples (about 2 small) or 1 Cup Applesauce


1/2 cup pecans/almonds (optional)


1 1/2 Cups Flour


1 Cup Oatmeal


1/4 Cup Brown Sugar


1/2 Cup Sugar


2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder


1/2 tsp. Baking Soda


1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon


Directions:

Combine cereal, milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and let sit for 10 min. Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. Then stir in chopped apples/appleauce and nuts. Combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and mix well. Then add to wet ingredients. Stir together until moistened. Spoon evenly into greased/papered muffin pan and preheat oven at 350 degrees. Bake 16-18 minutes, or 10-12 minutes if using mini muffin pan. Makes 15-18 regular size muffins.


Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1 Muffin (175 Calories/4g Protein/2g Dietary fiber/6g Fat/29g Carbs/25mg Cholesterol/135mg Sodium)


(Replace applesauce with oil and reduce fat)
"Good For You" Wassail
Teri Tomshack (a lady I used to visit teach) gave me some really good Wassail when we visited her in January. She was just getting over pnemonia and said this really helped. So when I got a cold, I drank it for 3 days straight and my cold went away...it's full of Vitamin C! I put it in a big pot over the stove and let it simmer. You can refrigerate the leftover juice and warm it up again.
2-3 Cups Orange juice (with pulp)
2-3 Cups Apple juice or cider
1-2 Tbsp. Real lemon juice
1-2 tsp. Cinnamon

0 comments: